Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Christopher Lakin

What can I say??  He is the little blond/white haired, blue eyed boy that when he smiles at you he wins your heart  Even as a baby everyone had to rub is white hair like it had magic powers.
At 2 yrs he was non verbal – except for screaming. 2 yr 6mo he was at a 16 month level.  We started with sign language and that helped, he could communicate. Kim and Lakin fought for him to have a teacher and speech therapist. He did well when he learned that words meant something. At 3 yrs, after his 3rd birthday in November, he went to a developmental preschool. What a difference that made. He loved his teacher, Ms Deeded and learned fast. He finished that year and started the next school year but was tested out of the program at 4 yrs 6 months, in November Just before his 4th birthday.. Then it was up to Nana to help him continue to learn. He knew his ABCs, well most of them, could count to 20 when he wanted to.  He could tell you the name of every one of the Thomas the train engines and cars.  And he has most of them…
When this school year started, he went to Eagleville to an at risk preK. Another teacher, Mrs. Smith, whose words were law!! He learns so fast. They do a rhyme and he knows it by the end of the first session.  Christopher keeps her hopping to keep ahead of him. He now draws something besides trains. His people drawings have to have 5 fingers on each hand.  When he is doing something he uses his right hand for a while then switches to his left hand.   He does not want Mrs Smith to give him a “mad look”. So he says he trys to make good choices.  He wears his backpack upside down in the front. When I ask him why “made everyone laugh”. But most of the kids now wear their backpacks that way.

When he went to the first music class at "Eagleville"(a word he loves to say) The music instructer ask each student what instrument they would like to learn to play. Christopher said "all of them".  She said he would only be able to play one insturment. He didn't know why cause 'grammy' played lots of instruments.

He has an answer for everything!!   Many friends have told me I need to put his Christopherisms in a blog.  Hopefully I can remember a lot of them. I am checking back in my facebook posts to find some of them.
And they will be in future posts.

When I pick up the kids at school, I have juice and snacks for them. Well Lakin picked them up the other day and was informed that Nana had drinks and snacks for them and next time he was to bring them.  I am sure he finished the sentence with “get that?”

Christopher gets a phrase or a word and uses it constantly for a while.  The latest word has been “hello”. If he tells me something and I forget and ask him about something, I get a “Hello, I just told you that!”.

His two best frends at school are Emmey and Dani, yes both are girls.  He informed me that both had pretty hair.  A couple of weeks ago , Emmey got to school after we did so was behind us in line. Christopher got out of my car and went to her mom’s truck to talk to her. Yea talk to her….  Her mother had put the window down, Emmey leaned way out of the truck, Christopher stood on his tip toes – both stretched  for a hug.  After she got out of the truck they hugged again and he took her hand and walked to the door.  And I didn’t  have a camera and had left my phone at home. The caretakers that were dropping other kids at the school saw this happening – heard a lot of aaaahhhhh how cute.  But so young!!!

Last week He saw Lakin without a shirt on. “Daddy you have fur”

We have a wait of over a half hour for Savannah.  Several of his class mates have siblings at Rockvale – so the wait time was very noisy of shouting back and forth.  I have a Kindle and downloaded some stories for that time.  Once in a while he wants to read the stories, sometimes I read with him pointing out words he knows. Surprised how many he knew. This is also the time that I HAVE to see what he brought home. It is a battle to get him to put the papers back into his backpack, he says he showed them to me that was enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment